cooking and preserving from my weekly CSA box

Monday, March 25, 2013

Huge Veggie Stir Fry with Joi Choi


I'll admit that I'm still getting to know the bok choy branch of the crucifer family. Unlike cabbages and some cruciferous vegetables, all chinese cabbage varieties that I have encountered have been mild. The joi choi (tender baby bok choi leaves) used in this stir fry are no exception, they are difficult to see in this picture because they wilted quite a bit but the entire bag from this week's CSA share is in this bowl of plants slathered in oriental flavors.

In order to make this into a main dish meal for my whole family I had to use two skillets and a lot of vegetables. I don't know how many cups are here, but it filled my biggest bowl, uncooked, and then some. I made the sauce in a separate pan, because I wanted it to be thick when I mixed it with the vegetables, knowing the would continue to release water, even at the table.

Ingredients:
1 bell pepper, sliced
1 package of giant package of mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 large carrots, sliced
1 package of joi choi from my CSA
1 package of sugar snap peas
1 package of bean sprouts

Basically, this was stir-fried in olive oil and sesame oil, starting with the hardest vegetables first and ending with the most tender (peas, joi choi, and bean sprouts). While I was doing all of this I made a sauce, I didn't measure so I'll give a close approximation:

Sauce Ingredients:
2 inch piece of ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, grated
1/2 c tamari
1/4 c. honey to taste (it might have been slightly more)
4 tbsp fish sauce
1/4 c oyster sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 c. water
1 bunch green onions, sliced

In a sauce pan add the first 3 ingredients, bring just to a boil, stirring to keep from burning. Add honey, oyster sauce, fish sauce and vinegar, bringing just to a boil, mix cornstarch and cold water in a cup and add to pan to thicken, continue to stir. When thickened, stir in green onions and sesame seeds, add to cooked vegetables.

I like to add Sriracha at the table since the rest of my family likes their food mild.

No comments:

Post a Comment