cooking and preserving from my weekly CSA box

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Spring CSA Week 2






























This is the second week of my Spring CSA, it looks a lot like last week. We had beets but my children wanted to swap them for potatoes. We ended up with two bags of potatoes, a bag of carrots, baby lettuce mix (top), baby tatsoi (right), and baby bok choi (bottom left). I really liked the baby bok choi it is really mild, it was almost sweet. I wonder if the baby tatsoi, another brassica, will be milder than regular tatsoi, which tends to be slightly bitter.

I like to try to change things up a bit from week to week, but I am always tempted to repeat my favorites. The lettuce will be a salad tonight. With the bok choy, I am thinking maybe an Asian soup with shrimp. As for the tatsoi, since I have to go to the grocery store, I was thinking about picking up some shiitake mushrooms, and making a mushroom stir fry or maybe egg rolls, I could add in the carrots, too. Potatoes, really, how hard is it to use potatoes? I think they only way I don't like them is in potato salad because I don't generally like mayonnaise. I wouldn't eat even my favorite food if it was covered in mayonnaise, but I will eat just about anything in a flour tortilla. Draw your own conclusions on that one.

PS: I think my Spell Check needs to spend more time at the farmer's market. It's called tatsoi and I most certainly do not mean Tutsi. Technology is weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment