cooking and preserving from my weekly CSA box

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spiced Walnuts and Pecans



We're really fond of spiced nuts around here, they are great in salad, with fruit, and by the fistful. I had to run out on an errand and my helpers finished the job for me, even going so far as to label them. I did two batches at once, the walnuts were for salad and the pecans will be for a dessert. Just double the recipe below, and rotate the pans, if done on two, every 10 minutes.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 c. nuts
1/4 c. maple syrup
1/4 c brown sugar (scant cup, not packed)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
salt (to taste)
2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
1 egg white

Preheat oven to 300, roasting nuts for 10 minutes. Melt butter and cool. Lower oven temperature to 250. Allow nuts to cool when removed from oven. Combine all ingredients, except egg white, adding nuts after ingredients are well mixed. Beat egg white in a separate bowl until it foams and add to nut mixture. Spread on parchment lined sheet and cook at 250 for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. If doubled, rotate pans when stirring. Remove and allow to cool.

1 comment:

  1. I love the labels. Adorable! And I love the site. I'm bookmarking for sure. I was in desperate need of dinner ideas!

    ReplyDelete