cooking and preserving from my weekly CSA box

Monday, April 22, 2013

Lemon Parmesan Fiddle Heads



I've been studying and identifying plants, especially wild edibles for the past year. This is the first year I've really brought anything home other when I went mushroom hunting with my dad as a child. Even then, I never found much. Now, when I go mushroom hunting, hopefully I won't come home empty-handed anymore, even if I don't find any mushrooms. These are fiddle heads, which are basically young, unfurled ferns. They taste like a very mild cross between spinach and asparagus, with no bitterness. I prepared them simply, in a pan, salted with olive oil, and cooked until wilted. I added some squeezed lemon juice before removing from the pan and added Parmesan at the table. We all tasted 2-3 and gave them our approval (like they needed it?). It will be nice to look forward to Spring for a reason other than mushrooms that are nearly impossible to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment