cooking and preserving from my weekly CSA box

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Strawberry Mascarpone Tart with Almond Crust


This is what happens when you are up late and have a sudden urge to bake! Thanks to a coupon I had for a huge tub of mascarpone cheese, believe me those don't come by every day, and I had been worrying about how I was going to use it all up. If you haven't had mascarpone it is like a light, subtly sweet cream cheese.

For the shell, I use this recipe, which I did completely in my food processor. I did have very cold butter straight from the fridge and once I had it in the tart pan I put it in the freezer until the oven preheated. I baked it for 20 minutes on 400.

After the crust had cooled for about 20 minutes, I made a filling: 14oz mascarpone, 2/3 cup powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons heavy cream whipped together in a mixer. I decide the crust was cool enough so I spread it in the tart shell and added sliced strawberries on top. I also glazed it with 2 tablespoons lemon juice mixed with powdered sugar, I don't have a measurement for that but I just added sugar until it looked like a glaze and brushed it on.

As it was pretty late, I covered it and put it in the fridge. I worried a little the the crust would get soggy but it wasn't, every bite was delicious. I can't wait to make it again over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment