cooking and preserving from my weekly CSA box

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Shrimp and Joi Choi Spring Rolls


This is the result of an evening of experimentation gone right. I had purchased some rice wrappers and I had some leftover wonton wrappers and made a filling for both. I ended up making something like shumai with the wonton wrappers, it was good, but I had trouble making it look good for photographing, not enough filling, I think. Anyways, I filled the leftover wonton wrappers with uncooked filling and steamed them for ten minutes, they were delicious, even if they weren't totally pretty. With the rest of the filling, which I cooked, I made into spring rolls with two types of dipping sauce.

Shrimp and Joi Choi Spring Rolls
15-20 shrimp, uncooked, de-veined, tails removed
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled
2 green onions
handful joi choi, plus another 2 cups
1/4 c, carrots, julienned (I just use a peeler), plus another 1 cup or so

Rice wrappers (Asian aisle, not refrigerated)
water

In a food processor, add shrimp, ginger, green onions, handful of joi choi, and 1/4c carrots and blend. Mixture can be put into won tons and steamed for 10 minutes for shumai. Otherwise, for spring rolls, cook mixture over medium heat until cooked through. Allow to cool and begin to prepare rice wrappers according to directions, stuff each wrapper with part of mixture, extra joi choi and carrots, and roll. You can chill for later or eat them right away.

Dipping sauces
Peanut Sauce: Mix about 1 tbsp of peanut butter with 1 tsp sesame oil, 3-4 tbsp tamari or soy sauce, and honey (2-3 tbsp) to taste, I added about 1/2 tsp. Sriracha for spice.

Spicy Sauce: 2-3 tbsp tamari, 1/2 tsp Sriracha, 1 tsp rice vinegar and 2-3 tbsp honey

I usually just begin by adding the above ingredients until I get the flavor I want, so feel free to play around with the amounts making them spicier, sweeter, or saltier according to your taste. We couldn't decide which sauce we liked better. Even my husband, who doesn't like seafood and never eats it, liked the spring rolls. He didn't get to try the shumai because they were gone almost as soon as they were out of the pan. Not bad for my first time making any of this and for an experiment, we can't wait to have them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment